Westminster Presbyterian Youth and Children’s Ministry Philosophy
The focus of Westminster Presbyterian Church’s youth and children’s ministry is to bring together the entire church body in carrying out our God-given responsibility to bring up children in the “discipline and instruction of the Lord” (Ephesians 6:4) by encouraging parents and coming alongside them in the task of making disciples.
The goal of this ministry it to produce young men and women who:
Know and love Christ personally. After publicly acknowledging and repenting of their sins and turning to Christ as their only hope of salvation, they should demonstrate the fruit that comes with salvation (John 15:8)
Love and serve the Church. As each one grows in their love for Christ, our youth should increase in zeal and affection for Jesus’ bride, being given opportunities to develop their gifts in ongoing service, learning to put others’ interest ahead of their own. (Philippians 2:3-4)
Love to tell the story. The sanctifying work of God’s spirit and ever-increasing knowledge of God’s grace in salvation will compel them to broadcast the Gospel message to the world around them. (Romans10:10-17)
Our ongoing ministry to accomplish these goals includes…
- Sunday School – Reformed and covenantal curriculum designed to lead each child through the Bible at least once every two years, teaching Christ in all of scripture
- Children’s Church – “Teach Me to Worship” – 4-6-year-old’s – 12 monthly units of study on the Call to Worship, Praise, Prayer, Tithes and Offerings, Advent, The Reading of the Word, The Hearing of the Word, Confession of Faith, Sacraments, and Benediction, Christmas, Easter, and Missions. Every third year, “ABC Scripture Memory” curriculum is taught.
- Choir – Training in music to enhance their ability to worship and enjoy their creator
- Scripture, Catechism, Hymn and Bible knowledge memory Program – With yearly rewards for 2-year-olds to 6th grade
- Service projects – Opportunities at least twice a year to reach out to others with the gospel (Operation Christmas Child, Easter Egg Hunt, Project Juembo Backpacks, ESL Christmas Dinner, Christmas Young Voices @ Westminster) La’Amistad and ESL Children’s program are weekly outreach programs, tutoring and teaching Bible to Hispanic and Asian children.
- Activities focused on family and fellowship (Marriage/Parenting conference, Summer Family Day)
- Children’s Ministry Team
- Present Priorities for team – Summer ministry outreach programs – VBS, Child-safety, Special Needs Ministry, communicant’s class, December giving project