Children’s Ministry Resources
This includes resources we have gathered from PCA churches across the country and resources our Children’s Ministry Team have developed to strengthen your church.
If you have a resource you would be willing to share or a resource you would like us to develop, we want to hear from you. Email us.
Creating a Children’s Ministry…
Children’s Ministry 101 is an excellent resource for those needing information about Children’s Ministry.
Children’s Ministry 101: A Covenantal Approach to Next-Generation Ministry
Based on the work of John Kwasny, PCA
Children’s ministry is different than childcare. It’s partnering with parents. It’s modeling the joy of our faith and shepherding the hearts of little ones, who desperately need Jesus. It’s founded in a rich theology, and it’s growing the next generation of the leaders of the church. Children’s Ministry is a high calling, so, where do you start? It can be daunting!
Children’s Ministry 101 is a resource for those new to ministering to children and even those with years of experience. Foundational and practical, the 18 lessons will equip you with a covenantal philosophy for ministering to children and walk you through how to apply the theory to your church’s unique needs. With real life examples, recommended resources, and how-to’s from the ground up to help you grow your church’s ministry.
- Where to begin
- How to set your mission
- Choosing curriculum
- Teaching with passion and purpose
- Serving and protecting all children
- Training worshippers
- Grounding ministry with compassion
- Relating to leadership
We hope you will find helpful information from these sample Philosophy of Ministry statements:
- Covenant Presbyterian Church, Harrisonburg, VA
- Westminster Presbyterian Church, Atlanta, GA
- Chapel PCA Philosophy of Children’s Ministry
Sample Mission and Vision Statement:
Below are sample job descriptions submitted to CDM:
- Children’s Ministry Coordinator, CTK-Cambridge
- Director of Children’s Ministry Job Description – CDM Sample
- Example Job Description for Director of Children’s Ministry
- Nursery Coordinator Responsibilities, Hope of Christ Church
- Nursery Worker Responsibilities, Hope of Christ Church
- Sample Assistant Director, Children’s Ministry Position Description
Child Protection and Safety…
Disclaimer: The resources and ministries on this page are not comprehensive or an affiliate of CDM. Our goal is to connect you to resources that may be helpful, but CDM is not endorsing any of these organizations.
“Child Protection in the PCA”
All church leaders should become informed and take an active stance toward preventing child sexual abuse in the church by screening staff and volunteers, training them in child protection, and actively maintaining child protection policies pertaining to our obligations to love our children and protect their rightful interests as God’s image-bearers from the devastating actions of abusers. (Matthew 18:5-6)
From Overture 6 – Georgia Foothills Presbytery
Child Safeguarding Policy Guide by Basyle Tchividjian
Safe Kids: Policies and Procedures for Protecting Children in the Church by Blake Caldwell
Preventing Child Abuse by Beth A Swagman (Helps churches and nonprofit organizations develop policies and procedures to protect children and youth.)
Adults Protecting Children, Inc. gives parents and organizations the tools they need to protect children from sexual abuse. They also equip adults to know how to recognize the signs of abuse and empower them to react responsibly to a disclosure, discovery or a suspicion of abuse.
Covenant Presbyterian Church in Harrisonburg, VA, has developed a thorough system and set of resources to protect children in their church. In addition, they have provided various forms for everything from a children’s ministry volunteer application and youth ministry staff applications, to a background check waiver. They have generously allowed us to share their resources with you. Check out their many resources here.
Brotherhood Mutual Insurance provides an Online library of safety and risk management materials created especially for churches and related ministries. The website has articles, checklists, guidebooks and tools, publications, sample forms, and training.
MinistrySafe equips churches to implement the 5-Part Safety System through a simple online dashboard. Resources include online training, sample screening forms, sample policies, background checks, tools for monitoring and oversight, and access to expert legal advice. Discounted pricing offered to PCA churches.
BACKGROUND SEARCH ORGANIZATIONS:
ADPEmployee Background Checks and Pre-employment Screening from ADP provides the tools and expertise to quickly and accurately assess candidates.
Checkr Checkr provides companies and organizations with a way to order compliant background checks. With Checkr, your church can verify the history of your staff and volunteers and take steps towards ensuring the safety of your congregation.
MinistrySafe provides seven levels of background checks in a simple online dashboard, with discounted pricing offered to PCA churches. Customization and price match services are available, as well as access to expert legal advice.
Protect My Ministryoffers complete background check and volunteer screening services for churches. Used by General Assembly.
USAFact Reliable, accurate and affordable background checks, drug testing, tenant screening and loan origination services.
Child Protection Policies:
- Sample Child Protection Policy
- Sample from North Shore Fellowship Policies & Procedures
- Chapel PCA Child Protection Policy
For some ideas on Discipline, we have included a resource, Classroom Discipline Made Easy by Barbara Bolton; Standard Publishing.
Listen as Dr. John Kwasny reads a devotional from Learn it. Love it. Live it. Teach it!
INFORMATION ABOUT A CDM PARENTING CONFERENCE
INFORMATION ABOUT A CDM MARRIAGE CONFERENCE
ARTICLES & BOOKS ABOUT FAMILY WORSHIP:
- Road Map for Children in Worship by Trinity Presbyterian Church in Charlottesville, VA
- Teaching Your Children to Worship by Covenant Pres. in Chattanooga, TN
- Parenting in the Pew by Robbie Castleman
- Rediscovering Family Worship by Jerry Marcellino
- Family Worship by Joel Beeke
- Family Worship Book by Terry Johnson
- Helping Parents Grow Their Children in Faith by Lisa Updike
- A Neglected Grace by Jason Helopoulos
- Let the Children Worship by Jason Helopoulos
- Like Our Father by Christina Fox
- Parenting by God’s Promises by Joel R. Beeke
- The Tech-Wise Family by Andy Crouch
- The Life We Never Expected by Wilson & Wilson
- Established in the Faith by John Kwasny
- The Gospel-centered Parent by Miller, Harrell, Klumpenhower
- Age of Opportunity by Paul David Tripp
- Parenting in the Pew by Robbie Castleman
- Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp
- Parenting by Paul David Tripp
- Gospel-Powered Parenting by William P. Farley
- Parenting By God’s Promises by Joel Beeke
- Preparing the Table by Lisa Updike
- How Our Children Come to Faith by Stephen Smallman
- Praying Through the Bible For Your Kids by Nancy Guthrie
- Becoming a Spiritually Healthy Family by Michelle Anthony
- God Hears Your Heart by Christina Fox
BOOKS TO GROW CHILDREN’S FAITH:
- The Bible is NOT Boring by Lisa Updike
- Church is NOT Boring by Lisa Updike
- God’s Alphabet for Life by Joel Beeke and Heidi Boorsma
- My ABC Bible Verses by Susan Hunt
- The Child’s Story Bible by Catherine Vos
- The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones
- Rediscovering Catechism by Donald Van Dyken
- Grandpa’s Box by Starr Meade
- Training Hearts, Teaching Minds by Starr Meade
- Understanding the Faith by Stephen Smallman
- God’s Promises by Sally Michaels
- God’s Names by Sally Michaels
- Dinner Table Devotions by Nancy Guthrie
- Heart of the Home CD Study by Priscilla Stewart & Sue Jakes
We partner with Engaging Disability With The Gospel, and you will find helpful information on their website.